I don’t know about anyone else, but icing is one of the hardest things to get right – it’s the consistency that is so difficult! You can’t mix too long, or let sit too long, or else it will not be good. The icing hardens quickly, so make sure you use it immediately – not on anything hot of course. I would suggest making it once your dessert is out of the oven. My favorite icing is chocolate fudge, and this recipe is my favorite.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 heaping tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, cut into cubes
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- Mix sugar, cocoa powder, and milk together in a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat until large bubbles form and reaches a hard boil. Boil one minute at a hard boil. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until thick and smooth.
- Pour over cake. It will harden as it cools.