I have tried so many vanilla cupcake recipes and all of them were either too dry or just too sweet. This recipe is a perfect mix of sweet and is very soft (avoiding the word moist). I would watch the timer on these, as they burn quickly, and you do not want burnt cupcakes. I highly suggest pairing a buttercream icing or chocolate fudge icing (my favorite).
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour or Canadian bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil (vegetable or extra light olive oil also work)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 350 °F and line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups cake flour (or Canadian flour), 1 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Set flour mix aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 2 eggs with the whisk attachment on medium speed (15-20 seconds).
3. Add 3/4 cup sugar and continue to beat on medium speed (30 seconds).
4. Add vanilla and oil and beat on medium speed (1 minute).
5. Reduce mixer speed to medium/low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the buttermilk, then the rest of the flour mix and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined and smooth, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl. The batter should be thin.
6. Pour batter into a lined muffin pan. Fill to about 1/2 full.
7. Bake for 12 -14 minutes at 350 °F. My oven takes 14 minutes. Let them cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then remove.
Yields: 24 cupcakes