This is one of my favorite recipes to make, although it is time consuming, it is totally worth it. Of course, if you do not like squash, you can substitute it for other vegetables, such as spinach or green beans, or even add it with the squash. Chicken is probably the best meat to use with the risotto, but you can also make this vegetarian. Risotto can be mixed with so many things, but this combination is my favorite!!
- 1 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbls unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash, 1/2″ cubes
- 1 1/3 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 lbs chicken breast, sliced
- 1/3 cup parmesean cheese, grated
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and saute until they are soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Heat stock on oven top and add chicken to poach.
- Add diced butternut squash to pan with onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until squash is halfway cooked.
- Add arborio rice to pan and toast for 2 minutes.
- Add wine to deglaze pan and scrape any bits off the bottom. Once wine is fully absorbed into rice, add a ladle of the stock into the rice. Stir once and allow rice to absorb liquid. Once liquid is absorbed, add another ladle of stock. Repeat until all liquid is absorbed. Slice cooked chicken and add to rice mixture.
- Mixture should be very creamy. Add about 1/3 cup of parmesean cheese, mix in and serve.
Yields: 6 servings