Having a busy life usually means not wanting to cook when coming home from a long day. This salad is something you can make as soon as you get home and only takes 20 minutes! Of course, to spare some time, you can skip the home-made dressing.
- 1/3 loaf ciabatta, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. baby rainbow carrots, halved lengthwise
- 6 c. torn Little Gem or romaine lettuce
- 2 c. shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 c. cooked fresh or frozen peas
- 1 small fennel bulb, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- Mustard-Chive Vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss together bread, oil, and garlic on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Bake, stirring once, until golden brown and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cook carrots in boiling salted water in a medium saucepan over high heat until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and run under cold water until cool.
- Gently toss together lettuce, shredded chicken, peas, fennel, croutons, carrots, and vinaigrette in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper
- To make the mustard-chive vinaigrette, whisk together ¼ cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh chives, ½ minced small shallot, 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Yield: 4 servings