I love homemade soup and this recipe is definitely one of my favorites. One cup is about 100 – 200 calories.
- 8 slices whole-grain baguette
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- 4 teaspoons grated Parm. cheese
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the broiler (grill). Arrange the baguette slices on a broiler pan and top each slice with a sprinkling of basil, oregano and cheese.
- Place about 4 inches from the heat source and broil (grill) until the cheese is melted, 45 to 60 seconds. Watch carefully to prevent burning. Set aside.
- Peel, seed and dice the tomatoes. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the soup thickens, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the soup in batches until smooth and return to the pan.
- Stir in the milk, salt and pepper and reheat gently.
- Ladle into individual bowls, garnish each with 2 herb toasts and serve.
Yield: 4 servings