This is a pretty drink for Independence Day which is right around the corner, this year is just flying by!! Of course, for this drink you have to be a fan of watermelon – or else you’re just not gonna like it.
- 2 slices watermelon (large slices, cut from rind)
- 1 bottle (4 cups) champagne
- 3/4 cup sugar (preferably fine like caster sugar)
- 10 whole star anise pods
- 2 1/2 cup water
- To make the star anise syrup, put the sugar, star anise and water into a saucepan and stir over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat slightly and boil for 7-8 minutes until thickened to a light syrup. Take off the heat and leave to cool completely.
- Puree watermelon, then strain the watermelon through a mesh strainer.
- Pour ½ cup champagne into each of four glasses.
- Add ¼ cup watermelon and ½ cup anise syrup to each glass.
- Optionally, serve with a watermelon star (cut with a cookie cutter) on the glass.
Yield: 4 servings